- Space selection: While there has been rampant poaching and building on natural habitat of many plants and animals, today land associated with natural environments are given importance. Hence building on land or space which has an ecological value is being reconsidered. In fact even if a construction on such a site is initiated care is taken to ensure that the ecological value remains intact.
- Size reduction: Skyscrapers are a common sight in almost all parts of the world. The aftermath of the construction of the same results in greater use of energy as well as emissions from within the structure. This leads to pollution of the environment in more ways than one. The fact that small buildings need lesser materials for their construction and also have a lesser impact on the environment locally makes for a much better alternative.
- Carbon footprint reduction: The major concern of any industry is the carbon footprint it leaves. This is also a source of concern for the construction industry which can implement a number of strategies to reduce its use of carbon like:
- Making it a primary concern right from the start of a project,
- Designing the structure in a way to facilitate the reduced use of carbon,
- Use of innovative techniques for heating, cooling and ventilation of a building reduces the use of HVAC which is a single large source of carbon emission,
- Strategic placement of doors and windows to maximise the use of natural light results in a reduction in the need of artificial light thereby reducing the energy input,
- Use of renewable energy like solar energy, wind energy etc.,
- Building placement also has a direct impact in the reduction of carbon footprint,
- Water usage should be minimised to conserve water by ensuring proper plumbing techniques to minimise the loss of non-revenue water.
- Materials used: Materials used in any construction project need to be chosen in a way that greater stress is placed on eco-conscious and green materials. Recycled materials should also be given priority and the amount of materials required should be optimised to reduce wastage.
- Equipments used: The use of eco-friendly equipment during the construction also facilitates lesser use of energy and lower carbon emissions. Thus it is imperative that such equipments which are energy, sound, water efficient should be used to ensure lesser impact on the local environment.
Useful And Effective Green Construction Techniques And Practices
The awareness about the bleak future the human race is slated to face if certain environmental concerns are not addressed, is definitely on the rise. Thus today people genuinely think about doing their bit to save the environment and thus the world. In the construction industry, there is a lot that can be done. In fact this industry is also actively owning up to the same with techniques which are not only eco-friendly but also provide a healthier living option for most. Some of the techniques which warrant a special mention are: