TOP 5 BENEFITS OF BUILDING INFORMATION MODELLING (BIM)
Contractor vs. Subcontractor – What’s the difference?
When people are planning to construct their own home, or a commercial building as a business start-up, they usually get confused whether to work with contractors or subcontractors. Well, basically, contractors deal directly with clients and oversee what the subcontractors are doing. They provide people with estimated costs and timeline for their building projects and keep them updated about the progress and occurring problems. One the other hand, several subcontractors are hired for a building project and each one of them is given a specific task like running the wiring across the building, installing pipes, and framing the walls, etc. The contractors are responsible for supervising the work of these subcontractors and ensuring that everything is on track.
Job Responsibilities of Contractors
Job Responsibilities of Subcontractors
Pros of Hiring a Contractor
- He will ensure that every aspect of the construction project is being taken care of.
- Contractors are experienced, insured, and licensed.
- He will hire subcontractors when they are required for the construction project.
- You can negotiate the costs with a good contractor.
Cons of Hiring a Contractor
- Contractors don’t perform all tasks themselves.
- They can be very costly at times, depending on the project size.
- They mostly hire subcontractors to get different tasks completed which increases the overall cost of the project.
Pros of Hiring a Subcontractor
- Subcontractors are usually very efficient and fast as they have specialized in certain tasks.
- They are mostly available on short notices and are willing to do extra work.
- They charge much less than contractors.
- Hiring a subcontractor is a great idea if you want more flexibility in your project.
Cons of Hiring a Subcontractor
- They are not always as loyal or committed as permanent employees are, or as contractors are.
- They don’t deal with the clients directly, which means you have no control over their hiring process and the quality of work they’re offering.
Hiring a General Contractor vs. Acting as a General Contractor – Know The Difference
Once you’ve decided to build your own home, or a commercial building for business purposes, the very next thing that comes you mind is execution of your idea. It is then that you begin to think of all the professional support that you may need to practically implement you plan. General contractors play a major role in construction projects and therefore their role cannot in any way be skipped.
Acting as a General Contractor
- The first reason is that you can save a lot of money that you would have to pay a hired general contractor.
- Secondly, acting as your own general contractor will help you learn the whole process; you’ll have a better understanding of your business. Being a general contractor along with being an investor, you will have a better know-how of all the phases of construction process including HVAC systems, electrical work, and plumbing etc. You will get to know more about labour prices and material costs, and how much time it takes to install these materials.
- The third benefit of doing so is getting more experience in this field. You will gain experience of being a real estate investor and along with that of being a general contractor. The experience you gain as a general contractor will be invaluable for your career as real estate investor.
- Finally, you get the chance to deal with your subcontractors directly and monitor their work more closely. Whereas, if you hire a general contractor, you have contact the subcontractors through him or her.
Hiring a General ContractorYou’d know by now that a general contractor plays a central role in any construction project. Here’s why hiring one may be a good idea:
- As they’re experienced professionals, they have a better understanding of the whole process. They know what permits are needed and how to get the project approved. They have dealt with inspectors and building codes before, so they make this process much easier.
- Secondly, they know how to maximize efficiency of any job. They get the work done in the most efficient way possible. They schedule the subcontractors and workers and set deadlines to ensure everything goes smoothly.
- Another major benefit of hiring a general contractor is that they can get labour and material at better prices due to their links in the industry. These better prices may help you reduce the overall budget of your project.
- One of the greatest benefits of hiring general contractors is that they take warranty of the work they do. They will ensure that everything is going right and there are no delays. Even if there are any unforeseen complications in the project, they will come out and solve them as soon as possible. It’s because they want to work in long-term with their clients and keep them happy.
SAFETY MEASURES FOR WORKERS IN CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY
Construction workers, while working on field, encounter more dangerous safety risks as compared to most other employees. All the dangerous machinery, chemicals, and environments can cause major injuries to the workers if constant vigilance is absent. According to stats provided by OSHA, the total fatalities were 4,836 in 2015 of which 937 were construction worker fatalities.
Top Technological Advancements in Construction Industry
New technologies are being constantly developed and changed in the construction industry. These technological advancements have made the construction process much easier than before. Drones have made site monitoring easier and more cost efficient. Similarly, smartphones have made communication a breeze. The project team is constantly in touch which makes it easier for them to pass on important information and updates related to the project. Today we have digital blueprint apps that help the companies map out a construction process like never before. All these technological advancements together have helped the construction industry grow at a higher pace. The industry which was once one of the slowest growing industries is now listed among one of the fastest growing industries. These new technologies continue to evolve and develop.
FIVE PHASES OF CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGEMENT
When project owners decide to start their project, they share all the relevant information with several contractors, or subcontractors asking them to submit their bids. The process begins with a cost estimate of the design, materials, and labor work etc. Different companies give different cost estimates and demand money according to their estimates. Some project owners may go for low-bid selection while others go for quality-based or best-value selection.
- Scope statement
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Communication Plan
- Risk Management Plan
Four Steps to Successful Construction Project Management
Construction project management includes several steps like planning, coordination between team members and stakeholders, and execution of the project. It usually includes complicated tasks that require strong communication skills, vast knowledge of the construction process, and good problem-solving skills.
Detailed & Strategic Planning
Constant Monitoring of the Project’s Progress
Shortage of Skilled Workers In Construction Industry
The construction industry is on the rise and the demand for workers is greater than ever. The major driving force behind construction industry’s boom is the growing population and increase in people living in urban areas. All this together has driven up the demand of construction workers to a great level. On the other hand, the supply of workers is insufficient to meet the needs of construction firms. This shortage of workers can decrease firms’ performance, productivity, and sustainability and upset industry’s growth despite the fact that construction industry is one of the largest and most important industries of the world.
Hiring more women in the construction workforce
Creating a workplace culture which is based on safety and security of employees.
Increasing and improving training opportunities
Screening new candidates carefully
Encouraging and appreciating transfer of knowledge and skills.
The Types of Workers You Need on Your Construction Site
Construction industry is growing rapidly all over the world. With so many projects completed and even more underway, employers are seeking the brightest and the best staff to fill up all job positions across the firm. Firms are expanding and hiring more workers to speed up their assignments, and plan and execute their future projects in the best way possible.
Why Should You Buy Modular Homes? – Here’s Why!
Modules homes are basically houses built in factories in a controlled environment. They are constructed in modules or sections and then taken to the construction site where they are assembled and installed by professional constructors.